Sunday, June 7, 2009

Moroccan Dinner Party

On Friday night we had friends around for dinner. Of course, being the culinary whizz that I am, I decided to make 3 dishes that I had never attempted before. Yes, I know this is a cardinal sin of dinner parties, and that you should always cook something that you know turns out well. Ok. But I saw these yummy Moroccan recipes, and I got a bit excited. So here's the menu:


Entree
Baby Spinach and Haloumi salad with Asparagus and Avocado

Main
Bisteeya (Moroccan Chicken and Almond Filo Pie)
Spiced Honey and Lemon Carrots with fresh herbs

Dessert
Golden Syrup Dumplings with Vanilla Bean Icecream

I admit, I cheated with the Golden Syrup Dumplings. They are an old family classic and sooo easy to make. But the other dishes were all new! And I was so pleased with how they turned out. But I think the Bisteeya was the highlight of the night. Chicken, red onions, coriander, ginger, garlic, saffron, cinnamon stick, chilli and stock all cooked slowly on the stove - and then baked in a filo casing with almonds, cinnamon and icing sugar between the layers. Delicious.



8 comments:

Carley said...

Next Sydney DUST meetup is at your place for a dinner party!! You are a whiz!

Beadsme said...

Totally agree Carley.

BonTons said...

Wow, that Bisteeya is an interesting combination, sounds yummy!

lyptis said...

Are u saying u put icing sugar in ur chicken?:P

Looks delicious tho!
*off to the kitchen to quench my appetite*

Jo (ruby-jo) said...

Yum! The bisteeya sounds very interesting.

Carmel said...

Yummo Emma it all looks and sounds delicious-lucky dinner guests :)

Penny said...

Oh wow! Next time I'm in Sydney I'm coming to your house!

Helena said...

I'm drooling here, Emma! That looks superb!